UK engagement photography: City Engagement Shoot
You probably know by now just how much we LOVE engagement shoots. It’s easy to rush past your engagement to get straight on with the wedding planning but you really should celebrate this moment. An engagement shoot is the perfect way to do that and you can choose any location you like. Today, we’re talking about shoots in the city so if urban’s your style, read on…
Firstly, why should you have an engagement shoot? Well, not only do you get a fabulous collection of images that show you both off at your loved-up best, you also get lots of valuable time in front of the camera. This means that come your wedding day, you’ll be super relaxed and comfortable when it’s time for photos. Not only that but your photographer will have a much better understanding of what makes you tick and you’ll all have built up a fantastic working relationship. So, it’s clearly a win-win situation!
Choosing a location for your city engagement shoot
Now you know why an engagement shoot is a great idea, let’s look at where to hold it. The backdrop is, of course, completely your choice. If you live in town or if you just love the urban landscape, then a city engagement shoot could well be just what you want. Cities are great because you’ve got such a massive choice of locations. If you think of any city, you can almost guarantee that within a relatively small area, you’ll have parks, rivers or canals, cool streets, modern spaces, historic places, amazing architecture, vibrant markets and much more. All this means that you’re sure to find somewhere that suits you and you’ll probably be able to change backdrops during your shoot too.
You might like to choose an urban engagement shoot to provide contrast to your wedding photos. Lots of our couples who are having country wedding opt for a city pre-wedding shoot so that they have two very different sets of professional images.
So, if you’re thinking that a city engagement photoshoot sounds like a great idea, where should you head to? Here’s our round-up of some of the best backdrops that the capital has to offer. These are THE places for stunning engagement shoots in London:
- There are so many gorgeous parks in London so why not head for one of the capital’s cool open spaces? In spring, you’ve got cherry blossom and wisteria, autumn will be full of wonderful colour and winter will let you wrap up and snuggle up. We love Greenwich Park, Kew Gardens, Chiswick Park and Chelsea Psychic Gardens among others but if you’ve got a favourite spot, do let us know. Do bare in mind though that some of these require permits, so take that into account!
- Classic London landmarks are always a good choice and, if you time it right, you can probably find a time that’s quieter too. St Paul’s Cathedral, Trafalgar Square and Covent Garden are all so romantic early in the morning.
- Markets make a great backdrop too. Colombia Road Flower Market, Borough Market and many others give a really ‘city’ style to your photos.
- The City of London itself is usually super quiet at weekends and there are some great spots hidden here too. If you work here in the week, why not have your photos here too?
- Alternatively, why not stroll around and take photos when the mood takes you? Green Park/St James/Buckingham Palace is a great area as is the South Bank or Shoreditch. In short, anywhere you love can be an unforgettable location for photos.
If you’d like to find out more about our engagement shoots, do get in touch – we love to come up with creative ideas and we’re always here to help you decide on the perfect location too. You might also like to take a look at this feature about rural engagement shoots for even more inspiration.
Until next time,